For a mother, Finland is one of the safest and most reliable choices in the world to give birth. HYKSin provides professional private delivery packages with a warm and caring touch for mothers from outside EU/EEA area. Our Childbirth package includes everything for a safe and comfortable delivery.
WHY FINLAND FOR CHILDBIRTH?
Finland is a clean, safe and beautiful country with friendly and honest people. We produce top quality and safe health care services with outstanding, internationally recognized treatment results. Finland is steadily in frontline of international comparisons when it comes to the lowest levels of neonatal, infant, children under-5 and mother mortality rates. Learn more from the report by United Nations.
MORHER’S WISHES AND NEEDS AT THE CENTER OF SERVICES
When giving birth in HYKSin, the mother feels safe and well looked after. The mother’s individual wishes and needs are taken into consideration in many ways. For example in treatment of labour pain the mother may choose between several medical and non-medical pain treatment options.
We think it is very important to give the new family as good start as possible from the very beginning. To ensure these aspects, we follow eg. WHO’s and UNISEF’s Baby Friendly Hospital initiative including the Ten Step Program to ensure successful beginning of breastfeeding.
Our comprehensive childbirth package covers everything the mother and baby needs. The package if for women with low-risk pregnancies ie. with no serious diseases (more information below in chapter Prerequisites for Childbirth).
1.Childbirth Examination during pregnancy week 36 includes
● Doctor’s appointment and examination, doctor is always specialized in gynecology and obstetrics
● Ultrasound examination performed by the doctor to clarify the status of the pregnancy
● Laboratory tests
● Midwife’s appointment
● Individual plan for monitoring the pregnancy and childbirth
Please note that appointments are during weekdays in the evenings.
2.Childbirth covers midwife’s weekly checkups from week 37 onwards and everything the mother and baby needs during the hospital stay:
- All needed appointments of midwife from week 37 onwards (once a week)
- Needed hospital clothing during the whole stay (robes, hospital clothes, underwear, socks)
- Hospital clothing and diapers for the baby
- Meals (three meals a day), snacks and drinks
- Starting of the delivery if not starting naturally
- Vaginal delivery or caesarean section as planned*
- All pain relieve medication/methods during delivery (see a list of pain treatment options)
- Interpreter services during delivery
- Necessary injections for baby
- Postnatal stay at ward full board (up to 3 days vaginal delivery / 4 days Caesarean section)
- A peditrician’s examination of the baby before discharge
* If, during a vaginal delivery there is an acute need for caesarean section, this will be invoiced separately afterwards, see prices below.
- Childbirth Examination 1,000 € including doctor’s and midwife’s appointment, ultrasound-examination and laboratory tests
- Vaginal delivery 8,000 € (vaginal delivery is always the primary method)
- Planned Caesarean Section 10,000 € (according to doctor’s evaluation if vaginal delivery is not suitable)
- Unplanned Caesarean section 3,000 € (invoiced separately)
- Office fee 19 € / invoice
ADDITIONAL SERVICES OUTSIDE THE PACKAGE
The mother can have single doctor or midwife appointments already before pregnancy week 36 according to individual needs. These visits are not included in the Childbirth package and can not replace the Childbirth Examination during pregnancy week 36.
- An appointment with midwife (60 min) 95 €
- Appointment with a physician (45 min) 197 €
- An ultrasound examination 180 €
- Interpreter services at appointments
- Twin pregnancy (in Hyvinkää Hospital) is subject to separate invoicing
- Additional postnatal days at maternity ward 1100 €/day
- Demanding care and unplanned examinations and procedures as well as care at intensive ward are invoiced separately.
- Needed laboratory tests and imaging studies are also subject to separate invoicing, as are any procedures. All fees are charged (if possible) in advance, please see our terms of service.
CAN I GET A CAESAREAN SECTION AS A PRIVATE PATIENT?
Mothers sometimes inquire if it is possible to get a Caesarean Section as a private patient?
In this service, as in all medical services we provide, we follow the HUS Helsinki University Hospital medical policy: the primary method for childbirth is always vaginal delivery. Only when vaginal delivery is not medically suitable will the Caesarean Section be used. The need for Caesarean section will be estimated by the doctor during Childbirth Examination during pregnancy week 36.
You can choose between three hospitals: Women’s Hospital in Helsinki, Hyvinkää Hospital 50 km north of Helsinki or South-Karelian Central Hospital in Lappeenranta.
Read more about Women’s Hospital or Hyvinkää Hospital or South-Karelian Central Hospital. We shall update more information about Women’s Hospital and South-Karelian Central Hospital on this page soon.
PREREQUISITES FOR CHILDBIRTH
Childbirth package is for women with low-risk pregnancies. If the mother suffers from one of the following conditions: super obesity (BMI≥45), type I diabetes, myasthenia gravis, haemorrhagic disorder, triplet pregnancy, alcohol and/or drug addiction, or serious general diseases (cardiac, renal, liver etc.), please contact Customer Service.
In treatment of labour pain, mother’s individual wishes and needs are taken into consideration. Read more about wide range of different pain treatment options.
LENGHT OF STAY AFTER CHILDBIRTH
We recommend that, after being discharged from the hospital, the mother and baby stay in Finland for one week, during which the treating physician or the pediatrician can see the family or the baby if needed (not included in the package price).
We will arrange an interpreter according to mother’s wishes for appointments and for the actual delivery. Interpretation of pre-arranged appointments will be billed separately. Interpretation of the actual delivery is included in the price of the service.
Prices for interpretation at the appointments:
Weekdays 8am-6 pm: 160 €/hour
Weekday evenings 6 pm-12 pm: 180 €/hour
Saturdays 8 am-6 pm: 190 €/hour
REGISTRATION OF THE BABY
A newborn baby is written a birth certificate with the midwife’s signature and the hospital stamp. A normal procedure is that the baby is registrated in Finland in the consulate of the family’s country. Please ask for more information from the respective consulate beforehand, so that you can take all necessary documents with you when coming for the delivery.
For the accommodation we recommend our partners in Helsinki, Hyvinkää and Lappeenranta. Please find more information about our accommodation partners here.
HOW TO GET STARTED
Our service starts by contacting Customer Service by secured email or by phone +358 10 328 1900.
Customer Service sends you a form to fill in. Once you have returned the form, our Customer Service will book an appointment for your Childbirth Examination.
SEE INFO VIDEOS OF CHILDBIRTH
Helsinki University Hospital has prepared a video package of childbirth stages including many useful things like the beginning of labour, dilation stage, spinal and epidural anaesthesia, C-section postnatal care and much more. Click to see the videos.
GOOD TO KNOW:
FOREIGN MOTHERS LIVING IN FINLAND OR FROM EU/EEA, SWITZERLAND
A mother having permanent residency in Finland can seek public health care delivery services as Finnish people. First contact is made by maternity health clinic (Äitiysneuvola).
A mother living permanently in a country of European Union or European Economic Area can seek a prior authorization by her health care authority (formula S2) for the public health care delivery in Finland. Mothers from the member states are treated according to the same principles as Finnish mothers.
FOREIGN MOTHERS LIVING OUTSIDE European Union
Delivery services are organized privately by HYKSin.